Mandan Universal Playground to Break Ground on May 4
After nearly a year of fundraising, the proposed universal playground in Mandan has acquired over 50 sponsors and will break ground on May 4.
The playground will be a haven for adults and children of all ages, interests, and abilities. According to an official news release by Mandan P&R, the playground will feature:
· Zip line with disc seats and molded bucket seats
· Unique seesaw with four high-backed seats with a platform and a handle in the middle to allow a large number of kids to experience the motion together.
· Quiet, cozy dome for kids who need a break from the action.
· Roller table that encourages kids to engage their arm muscles.
· Sensory wall that provides a multi-sensory experience.
· Electronic pulse game that motivates kids to beat a moving light
· Several fitness components for people of all ages.
· Sling swings, full bucket swings and molded support swings with pull-over harnesses.
· Updated version of a traditional merry-go-round that allows easy transfer from a wheelchair.
To top it all off -- or, rather... underscore it? -- the playground will feature a special poured-in-place surface with different-colored surroundings around freestanding equipment, to help out those with visual impairments.
The playground is slated to open in the fall of this year.