You ARE Better Than You Think—-At Work!
Work is such a big part of our lives---it is what can help define us and our self-worth. Many high-achieving people feel like they are not as good at their jobs as others say they are. When they hear praise about themselves, they think, “Who me? Naah, they’re just making things up. Everyone else is more talented than me.”
Anyone can improve and get better; however, many people seem to be blinded to how good they really are. Maybe you have been feeling blah about your achievements at work…..stop right there and read these 10 signs that you are great at what you do and start to see your positive qualities like others do!
1) You seem to get whatever you ask for. – Mediocre performers don’t often receive rewards. So, if you receive the hours, preferred projects, or promotions you request, consider yourself someone worthy of rewards.
2) You are highly sought after for meetings and people value your opinions – Even though, as I talked about on my show yesterday, work meetings can be a waste of time, consider that people usually invite you to meetings because they feel like they need your valuable input. Do people listen to what you have to say? Do they take notes (or mental notes)? Can you tell by their actions that they are taking your ideas into account?
3) You could explain what you do to a 6-year-old. - Albert Einstein once said: "If you can't explain it to a six-year-old, you don't understand it yourself.” Being able to simply tell others what it is you do means that you understand the purpose of your position, and how you fit into the bigger picture at your organization. While this, by itself, doesn’t guarantee greatness, it is a necessary part of greatness.
4) You come up with new ideas. - "To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty.” – Osho. What an inspirational quote! If you feel a creative spark at your job, consider that you actually are bringing a spark of love and beauty into your job that no one quite like you can. This can happen even if your job wouldn’t be thought of as a “creative” position.
5) You can see results that wouldn’t have happened if you weren’t around. - Imagine that everything you've done no longer exists. How would things be different? Where would projects have fallen through? Where would ideas not have come into place?
6) You have a unique skill that no one on your team does. -What's your unique super-power at work? It doesn’t matter if your job is white-collar or blue-collar; with your gifts, talents, personality, and unique skill set, you contribute something unique that no one else can!
7) You care about what you do. – Probably the most important of all. Many managers say: “you can teach skills, but you can’t teach care.” If you care about the work you do, that already makes you a valuable asset to any team. It doesn’t matter what kind of job you do; if you are flipping burgers, and you are determined to be the absolute best you can be in your job, you will stand out.
8) You get things done on time and on budget. In today’s work environment, things are moving faster and faster, doing things on time and on budget can be a huge task … and one that many people fall short of. So if you do your work on time, consider that you truly are a valuable part of the team.
9) You get good reviews, raises, and praise. – This is simple. A good review means you're doing good work. A client compliments you, and you get raises. This means you are doing a great job!
10) You get assigned to extra projects. – Truthfully, bosses and managers don’t give important work to employees they don’t trust. Especially work that is above-and-beyond the call of duty. If you are assigned extra projects, ones that require extra detail or for a picky client, consider yourself and your skills of high value.
Which ones will you admit apply to you? Can you see how they might point to the fact that you are better at your work than you thought? We are always our own worst critic, but only you can turn that around to be your biggest cheerleader! And your positivity will shine through in everything you do.