After watching a very dark day in United States history unfold in Washington DC last night, this morning I was reminded of a very dark day in North Dakota history.

If you were in North Dakota in 1983, it's a story you will never forget.  February 13th, 1983 was the day that two United State's Marshals were shot and killed just outside of Medina, North Dakota.  Another US Marshal, a county sheriff, and a city police officer were also injured in the Medina incident.

Scott Faul is not the first name to come to mind when remembering that day.  That would be Gordon Kahl, the man the officers had all come to arrest.  If you're unfamiliar with the story it is a must read and you'll find a very precise article outlining the legal ends of the case against Scott Faul, Gordon Kahl, and Kahl's son Yori.

Catch up on the story by clicking here.

Yori was injured in the gun battle and apprehended at the hospital.  Scott Faul turned himself in.  Gordon Kahl escaped and was later found in Arkansas where he was killed in a gun battle so fierce the structure Kahl was in was collapsing and got set on fire.  Law enforcement seemed to want to finish it right then and there.

I't hard to believe it's been 37 years since that epic confrontation outside a quiet North Dakota town.  Here's how the sentences came down

The district court imposed identical sentences on Faul and Kahl; two concurrent life terms for the second degree murder convictions, and concurrent ten year sentences on each of the four assault charges to run consecutively with the life terms. Both appellants were also given a five year consecutive sentence for the harboring offense, and a five year term, to run concurrently with all other terms, on the conspiracy charge.

So that's 2 concurrent life terms, 4 ten year sentences, plus another ten years for good measure.  Figure Scott Faul has served probably 36 years.

Do we let him out because he has a cough? I'm tell me.

LOOK: See inside a modern day castle complete with drawbridge


More From Cool 98.7 FM