North Dakota Woman Striving For Best Recipe in America
The woman whose name is being shared only as 'Stephanie M' has a recipe for 'Honey Custard Ice Cream' and is one of the semi-finalists in the midwest region.
If Stephanie can win the best recipe in the country, she would win $10,000 and a year supply of eggs. If she wins just the best in the midwest she will win $1,000.
Winners are chosen based on votes, so if you want to help Stephanie win, you can read her recipe and vote for her on Egglands Best website.
We have put her recipe below as well for 'Honey Custard Ice Cream with Honey Caramel Sauce':
- 2 Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 Eggland’s Best egg yolk
- 2/3 c. honey (North Dakota product)
- ½ tsp. stevia powder
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- ½ gallon whole milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ½ Tbsp. real vanilla extract
Honey Caramel Sauce:
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/3 c. honey (North Dakota product)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugarPreparation Instructions:
For the Honey Custard Ice Cream:
- In a 1 quart measuring cup or mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, honey, stevia, and xanthan gum; set aside.
- Pour the milk into a 6 quart saucepan. Heat the milk on the stovetop on medium heat until it is about ready to bubble.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually whisk in the egg and honey mixture. Increase heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes while stirring frequently making sure you scrape the bottom of the saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Cool the custard mixture in the refrigerator until it is completely chilled. Be sure to allow several hours for the mixture to cool.
- Pour the custard mixture into the metal canister of an electric ice cream maker. Add the heavy cream and real vanilla extract to the custard mixture. Place the metal canister in the ice cream maker and follow the ice cream maker’s instructions being sure to layer plenty of ice and salt around the canister. The honey custard ice cream will be finished churning and ready in about 50-75 minutes.
For the Honey Caramel Sauce:
- When your ice cream has almost finished churning, begin to prepare the honey caramel sauce. In a small saucepan combine the heavy cream, honey, salt, and brown sugar.
- Simmer mixture over medium-low heat and until sauce has thickened, until it coats the back of a spoon, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the homemade honey custard ice cream with the honey caramel sauce and enjoy! Serves 12