Ways To Stay Cool in Bismarck During the Dog Days of Summer
The kids are out of school in the Bismarck area, the temperatures were in the 90's over the last few days, here are some ideas to stay cool during the long days of summer.
It's important to use sunscreen, avoid the hot hours of the day (11a.m.-4p.m.) and stay hydrated, which means drink water. Beer and alcohol is not the best beverages to stay hydrated.
Here are some common sense ideas to staying cool and safe during the summer in Bismarck-Mandan.
- Library- the library is a good place to cool off and the Bismarck and Mandan libraries offer various summer activates.
- Movies- The Grand and AMC offer kids matinees during the summer months for the kids at reduced prices which also include refreshments.
- Keep your curtains closed during the heat of the day to block direct sunlight from heating up your house.
- Take a cool showed and don't towel off, just drip dry, this will reduce your body temperature.
- Keep bottles of water in the freezer overnight and drink them during the day.
- Freeze your pillow case before bed. If your pillow is hot and sticky at bedtime, then before bedtime, put your pillowcase in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes, then go to bed with a cool pillow.
- Walk the mall- it's a great way to exercise and you'll be out of the heat.
- Fans- use ceiling fans and room fans to circulate the air in a room.
- Sleep with the windows open at night, and cool your house in the day, keeping your thermostat on 78 degrees.
- Take a plunge in a swimming pool, waterpark or river. Be sure to use the buddy system and don't swim alone.
Don't forget to have plenty of cool water and shade for your pets and livestock. Do not forget to check on elderly family members and neighbors. They'll enjoy the visit and you'll have peace of mind.
Have a safe and happy summer!